Marcia Silverberg is the owner and founder of HR Directions, the consulting firm that she founded in 1998. HR Directions helps its clients develop more effective leaders and align their people strategies with their business goals to achieve organizational success. Frequently this involves coaching executives, training leaders, and facilitating important meetings.
Marcia retired in 2013 as Vice President, HR Strategic Initiatives and System Office Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) for Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit healthcare system in the country with over 150,000 associates (employees). For the six years prior she served as Sr. Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer for the Seton Family of Hospitals, a local health ministry within the Ascension system, during a period of significant growth.
Prior to her healthcare and consulting careers, Marcia spent 14 years with Mutual of New York (MONY) in both human resources and information technology leadership positions. Under her direction, MONY was designated to Working Mother magazine’s “100 Best Companies” list three consecutive years and Seton was designated a “Best Place to Work” in Austin three times. Prior to her management career, Marcia served on the allocations staff of the United Way of Central New York for five years.
Marcia has a Master of Social Work degree, with a concentration in Organization, Planning and Administration, from Syracuse University. She has over 25 years of experience serving on boards of directors, including the boards of United Way for Greater Austin, LifeWorks, Communities in Schools of Central Texas, Seton Cove, Leadership Austin, New Milestones Foundation, and the Texas Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
Throughout her life, Marcia has been committed to community service from her days as a youth leader in Buffalo, NY to her volunteer leadership roles in Syracuse, NY and Austin, TX. She is the proud mother of Sharon Brener, Design Director with data.world in Austin and Mark Silverberg, Senior Technical Architect with Slack in San Francisco. Marcia and her husband Barry, Director of the Center for Nonprofit Studies at Austin Community College, are co-principals of Silverberg Associates, of which HR Directions is a key component.
Marcia may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Service Highlights
- Communities In Schools of Central Texas – Board member, Executive Committee Member, Personnel Committee Chair, Board Development Committee chair, and Co-chair of Leadership Council
- Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Strategic Compensation Task Force – Chair
- Leadership Austin – Board Member
- LifeWorks – Board Member
- Health Industry Steering Committee (part of WorkSource) – Co-chair
- Jewish Foundation of Austin and Central Texas – Cabinet Member
- New Milestones Foundation – Board Member
- Seton Cove – Board Member
- Seton Health Plan — Board Member
- Capital Area Training Foundation (now Skillpoint Alliance) – Board Member
- United Way for Greater Austin – Board Member, Board Development Chair
- Texas Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy – Board Member, Board Development and Governance Chair, Executive Committee
- YMCA of Austin Camp Moody Advisory Council